During your pregnancy, you have so many decisions to make, and so much to prepare before your new baby is born. You may want to begin purchasing clothing, a car seat, and furniture for the baby. Don't forget about all the items your new baby will need on a daily basis, such as diapers, wash cloths, bottles, burp cloths, and more! If you are having a baby shower, your friends and family may also ask you what items they can help you with. We recommend talking to other new moms about the items they purchased for their babies, and the brands that they recommend. There are so many baby items and different brands to choose from, that it may be helpful to get some expert advice, so that you will not be stressed about these decisions.
The National Women's Health Information Center (NWHIC) has provided the following list of items a new born baby will need to help you in your shopping efforts, so you can concentrate on staying healthy, resting, and being excited for your new baby's birth. We have also included links to web pages with safety information about those products that may pose a risk to your baby if safety guidelines are not followed. If you have any additional questions about the safety of baby products, we recommend that you ask your health care provider. The most important thing to remember is that your baby only needs food, shelter and you; so don't be overwhelmed by the numerous baby products available.
Suggested list of items for a new baby
What the baby will need at the hospital:
- An outfit such as a stretch suit, nightgown, or sweater set
- A pair of socks or booties
- Receiving blanket, cap and heavier blanket or bunting, if the weather is cold
- Diapers and wipes (some hospitals provide an initial supply of these)
- Safety pins or velcro attaching strips, and rubber or nylon pants (if you are using cloth diapers)
- Infant car seat
- Diaper bag
Safety items for the home:
- Night lights or soft lighting
- Baby monitor
- Baby nail clippers/scissors manicure set
Things you'll need to transport the baby:
- Car seat - you will need to find out the specifications for a car seat that will fit in your car. All car seats are not made alike.
- Backpacks and soft carriers
- Diaper bag - since this is something you will be carrying around for about three years, choose one that is comfortable and durable for you.
Items for the baby's room:
- Crib and crib linens
- Play pen or portable crib
- Changing table
- Glider or rocking chair
- Clothes hamper
Suggested items for your home:
- Diapers or cloth diapers - you can get a couple of different brands of diapers so you can test them out and choose your favorite.
- Receiving Blankets
- Breast pump - if you plan to breastfeed.
- Bottles - be sure to get the correct size of nipples, such as preemie, or newborn.
- Rectal or digital ear thermometer
- Washcloths and baby wipes
- Diaper rash ointment and/or petroleum jelly
- Hooded Towels
- Diaper disposal system - good to have, but not necessary.
- Burp Cloths and waterproof lap pads
- Bulb syringe - for suctioning baby's nasal passages if necessary. Your baby's doctor will tell you if, when, and how to do this.
Things you'll need as the baby gets older:
- Outlet protectors
- High Chair
Source: The National Women's Health Information Center
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Office on Women's Health
Nucleus Medical Media Disclaimer of Medical and Legal Liability
Nucleus Medical Media ("Nucleus") does not dispense medical or legal advice, and the text, illustrations, photographs, animations and other information ("Content") available on this web site is for general information purposes only. As with any medical or legal issue, it is up to you to consult a physician or attorney for professional advice. YOU SHOULD NOT DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL OR LEGAL ADVICE BASED ON CONTENT CONTAINED ON THIS WEB SITE, NOR SHOULD YOU RELY ON THE CONTENT ON THIS WEB SITE IN PLACE OF PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL OR LEGAL ADVICE.
NUCLEUS DISCLAIMS ALL RESPONSIBILITY AND LIABILITY FOR ANY COUNSEL, ADVICE, TREATMENT, DIAGNOSIS OR ANY MEDICAL, LEGAL OR OTHER INFORMATION, SERVICES OR PRODUCTS THAT YOU OBTAIN BASED ON VIEWING THE CONTENT OF THIS SITE. THE INFORMATION ON THIS WEB SITE SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE OR SUITABLE FOR ANY PURPOSE WHATSOEVER.
Mature Content Disclaimer: Certain Content on this web site contains graphic depictions or descriptions of medical information, which may be offensive to some viewers. Nucleus, its licensors, and its suppliers disclaim all responsibility for such materials.